So it’s official summer is sliding out and autumn is moon walking in. bring on the comforting foods that are warm, yummy and you just want to dive right into. of course i have your back with the answer to a delicious breakfast that is perfect for the colder days. It is filling, creamy, nutritious and very easy to make, also you can pimp it out how ever you like. I present to you Quinoa porridge, okay let’s drop some of the nutritional benefits first. Quinoa pronounced keen-wa ISN’T a grain but actually a seed, it is a complete protein that has all of the essential amino acids that we need. It is packed with protein, fiber, iron, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. Pretty good stuff it will keep you full and fuel you nicely. Okay so enough of all that, let’s get to the important part the making and eating……
1 cup white quinoa(use whatever kind you like)
2 cups of water
1 cup plant milk of choice (I use rice milk)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp maple syrup
How to make
1. First of all you need to boil your quinoa you can do this on the day your going to eat it or the night before and store it in the fridge for the next day.
2. Rinse your quinoa and add to a medium sized pot with the two cups of water and cover with the lid.
3. Boil for 15 mins until soft and fluffy.
4. If your making the porridge the same time as you cook the quinoa let it cool down slightly.
5. Add half of the quinoa to your blender then add your milk, cinnamon and maple syrup.
6. To start off only add half of the milk so you can adjust the thickness to your liking.
7. If your using precooked cold quinoa then add all of the milk because it will thicken up when you heat back up in either a pot or the microwave.
8.if YOU’RE blending the whole batch of quinoa then use 2 cups of milk instead of 1 cup.
9.Once your quinoa porridge is all blended up pour into a bowl.
10. If using precooked cold quinoa then heat up if you used hot then go ahead and top with whatever you like.
by using just half the quinoa it was about three good sized portions.
MY GO TO TOPPINGS ARE MORE CINNAMON,BANANA AND CHIA SEEDS.
If you would like to eat this for a few days then I recommend making a big batch of quinoa storing it in the fridge then blend and heat it on the morning you would like to eat it. It takes no time at all.